Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sneaky Attempt #1: Pumpkin & Spelt

The picky eater—he loves banana muffins. And I happened to have canned pumpkin in my pantry. And some spelt flour in my fridge. So, I gave pumpkin bread, in the form of muffins of course, a go.

Problem was I had never made pumpkin bread in my life. Crazy I know. What’s a girl to do when she wants to make something she has no recipe for? Why go to allrecipes.com for sure. I do love that site as you will soon see. Here’s the recipe I used:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/downeast-maine-pumpkin-bread/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=pumpkin%20bread&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

Here’s the part I always love about the comments in recipes on this site (and I’m sure on other recipe sites). The people NEVER make the recipe as is and you end up with this laundry list of changes. Well, folks, I am not exception. Here’s what I did a little differently:

  • Used 3 eggs because all I had were jumbo eggs and I thought 3 would be plenty
  • Cut the oil in half and added 1/2 cup of natural applesauce to make them a little healthier
  • Only used 2 cups of sugar because oh my goodness 3 cups freaked me out
  • Cut the flour to 2 cups and added 1 1/2 cups of spelt flour to add some protein and fiber
  • Added 1 teaspoon of vanilla because that’s how I roll
  • Omitted the ground cloves only because I didn’t have any and I wasn’t making a trip to the store to get it
  • Baked them for 20 minutes because I made muffins instead of loaves of bread

I know, I know the sugar. It’s a lot even cutting it by a cup, but in my mind I balance it out with the extra fiber, protein, and vitamin A he is getting. Maybe I’m delusional but whatever.

pumkin Muffins

The verdict? Both boys loved them and so did hubby and I. I froze several of them too. I’m a big fan of freezing bread. Definitely making this again. I think I’ll try to sneak in some pureed sweet potato next time too. Think I could get away with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment