Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lesson Learned

I don’t know why. I have no good reason. But I never believed that kids could pull furniture down. Just seemed impossible to me.

Until my boys did it.

I was loading the dishwasher, & I heard one of my boys cry out from the back of the house. The water in the sink was running so I couldn’t tell which boy it was, but I thought they were playing and one had taken a toy or wrestled the other too much & the cry was just a protest cry. The tattle cry. Not at all uncommon around our house.

And I only had a few more dishes to load. So I finished.

As soon as I turned the water off, I heard the cry again. This time I knew it was a distress cry.

And I ran.

To the back of the house.

To Sweetie Pie’s bedroom.

To the cry that was Sweetie Pie.

As I entered his room, where I should have seen the blue wall opposite the door, I saw wood. The pine, stained wood of the chest of drawers. Laying at a diagonal. The top resting on the foot board of the bed.

Everything normally on top of the chest was thrown across the bed. The blocks that spelled Sweetie Pie’s name. The clothes I had folded earlier but hadn’t had a chance to put away yet.  The pictures of my boys.

All I could hear was the cry of my son.

I couldn’t see him.

I had no idea where Boogaboo was.

Panic filled my blood. I felt it in my entire body as my heart rate rose.

I heard movement to my right. A quick glance revealed Boogaboo standing there. Safe.

My mind raced. I could hear Sweetie Pie but could not see him.

After what was hours in my head, but what was only mere seconds in reality, I heard a “I’m alright, mommy.” through his tear-strained voice.

It was then I looked under the chest of drawers and saw him. Crouched down on the floor.

Unharmed.

I later found out he had climbed up the drawers to reach something he wanted on top of the chest & pulled it over in the process.  Thankfully, he had the where-with-all to drop to the floor when it started falling.

I sat and held my boys for a long time after that. Ever so thankful the situation was not worse & neither of my boys were harmed. We came away scared but smarter. The only physical damage done to the furniture itself.

Needless to say we will be securing the furniture to the walls.

Learn from my mistake. Because I can’t stop thinking about how much worse it could have been.

7 comments:

  1. Glad your boys are okay! I remember pulling over a small bookcase as a child. Then too, no serious injury, but, yes, it can definitely happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary stuff indeed. I'm sooooo glad everyone ended up OK. Phew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart is racing reading this post. I am so happy they are okay ... what a scary event. Hope you've recovered from the stress of it!

    Hugs
    Maegan

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your sweet boys are OK! We have climbers in my house too. Janae

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was scary enough in 140 characters or less, but the full story is blood chilling. You definitely got me planning, Max is already such a climber.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How scary! Thank you for sharing. Glad they are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very scary! :) Hope your heart rate has calmed!

    ReplyDelete