Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Heaven in a Crock Pot

I just made this for dinner tonight. And all I can say is Oh. My. Goodness. D-E-L-I-S-H. My ONLY regret is that I didn’t make it sooner so I could link up earlier in the week to the crock pot blog hop over at Not Super Just Mom, Middle of Mommyhood & Sluiter Nation. Hopefully several of you will see this because this tasty goodness needs to be shared. Here we go.

Caribbean Pork Pot Roast
3 1/2-4 lb boneless pork shoulder roast
2 tsp salt-free Jamaican jerk seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil (I used olive.)
1 20 ounce can pineapple tidbits, reserve 1/2 cup juice
2 4 ounce cans diced green chiles, undrained
2 tbsp tapioca
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
Rice

Some notes:
1) I used a pork roast with a bone just because it was what I had. It was also more like 6 pounds but whatever. 

2) I didn’t have the jerk seasoning so I found a recipe online. Since the recipe has salt in it I omitted it from the above ingredient list.

3) I used WAY more than the 2 tsp. of the jerk seasoning. I just slathered it on. In fact I used the entire amount that the recipe made.

4) I didn’t have tapioca to use for a thickener, so I used cornstarch.

(I feel like one of those people on All Recipes that is giving a review of the recipe and talks about how good it is and then goes on to say they did this differently & that differently. To the point it wasn’t even the same recipe.)

Anyway…

Trim your meat. (Proof I taught middle school too long? I giggled when I typed that.) Rub the roast down with the jerk seasoning. Heat oil in pan and drown all sides of the roast.

Mix the pineapple, the reserved juice, green chiles, brown sugar, & tapioca together in a bowl. (I about threw this recipe out when I got that mixed together. It was not appealing to my eyes. So glad I went ahead with it. Just mix it up & go with it. Trust me.)

Put the browned roast into the crock pot, & pour the pineapple mixture over it.

Cover & cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours or high heat seating for 4-5 hours.

Serve this goodness over rice and with the juice it made while cooking. So good. In fact, I think it’s time for seconds.

::runs to the kitchen::

No comments:

Post a Comment